Band Of The Day #17 - BROKEN RECORDS "If Eilert Lovborg Wrote A Song It Would Sound Like This"
It can be hard to ‘sell’ something to time-pushed, attention-leaking listeners, especially when you come ‘round cold-calling talking up the virtues of “delirium-induced vocals” or “mild-mannered madness”. There’s nothing mad at all, really, about Scotland's Broken Records; emerging as they do with everything talked-up as ‘epic’, ‘anthemic’ or ‘huge’ ever since Arcade Fire swept into view with Funeral at the tail end of 2004.
The Edinburgh-based septet are certainly a grandiose and at times overwhelming proposition, especially taken in headphones; this particular artefact creeping with Balkan-Schmalkan string before trotting along at a wide, loping canter that breaks into a run for the, yes, chorus. When ‘If Eilert Lovborg Wrote a Song, It Would Sound Like This’ slows in the middle to fill its big lungs you know not much else can happen after the respite apart from the, yes, chorus again; but you will it on anyway.
Listening, you get the impression that Broken Records will be big in more ways than one this year.
- Kev Kharas
Related RCRD LBL Posts
- FEATURED: Broken Records at the DiS RCRD LBL blog
- Band Of The Day #19 - TELEPATHE "Chrome's On It"
- Band Of The Day #14 - NAPOLEON IIIRD "Snowball Fight at the OK Diner"
- Band Of The Day #18 - HEALTH "Triceratops" (ACID GIRLS Remixes)
- Bands Of The Day #21 and #22 - LATE OF THE PIER x METRONOMY "The Bears Are Coming"